Built in the 1850’s, The Mansion House is one of the oldest buildings in the area. The name “The Mansion House” was a popular name for hotels built in the mid to late 1800’s. There are still a few Mansion House Hotels in operation today around southern Ontario. This one, along with the Queens Hotel (known as Market Square), were the main meeting places in Sutton at this time. The earliest known owner was john MacDonald from Scotland, followed by James Sharpe. At this time you could rent a room for $1.00 a night. When George Wellington Culverwell took over an orchestra would play music on summer weekends from a balcony over High Street. Mr. James Graham (the Great-Great Grandfather of Charles Bodley who currently resides in Sutton and Diane Roberts who lives in Pefferlaw) took over around 1919 and adopted the name “The Graham House”. At this time, James Graham was also the owner of the Hotel Belvedere in Pefferlaw, originally also being named “The Mansion House”, and operated by his two sons Marshall and William Graham. There was a Veterinarian, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Lavery, located in the front of the Hotel. In the roaring 20’s Marshall Graham, James’s son, acquired the Sutton Landmark and with the help if his nephew, operated the Hotel for almost 20 years until World War II broke out. His nephew enlisted in the army. With his nephew gone to war, Marshall Graham was forced to sell. Local land auctions were held at The Mansion House in the late 1930’s. There is one framed historic advertisement in the dining room today. In the 1940’s police trailed 3 bank robbers to an upstairs room hiding out under alias names.
Originally, the women were not allowed to go into the men’s room and the men had to be escorting a lady to be allowed into the ladies’ side. This did not change until the 1970’s.
The Hotel has had many owners and many more stories to tell since Mr. Marsh including; Harold Leishman, John Andrynuck, John Volkenstein, Harry Rampersaud and Jack Beaudrow and his niece Nicole. It is currently owned by Mr. Louis Hua Lu and operating by Charlie Young and his wife Kat.
We want every patrons of The Mansion House to enjoy the atmosphere in this historic building, and
We warmly welcome you to join us for dining, and an evening of entertainment.
Great Food, Fine Ales, and Good Times at “The Mansion House”.
From The Mansion House Family.